This recipe was given to me as a gift from a grateful neighbor. I delivered homemade chicken broth to her when she was recuperating from a tonsillectomy, and this gem was included in her thank you note. Red Devil’s Food Cake was an old faithful in her family from their days in rural Maryland. Back then, they had a neighbor named Etha King who was famed for her baking skills. Miss Etha used to bring this cake to every church picnic, backyard barbecue, birth, death, and every event in between, and my friend managed to get her hands on the recipe.
I gave it a shot for my son’s birthday, and it was a crowd pleaser!
Ms. Etha’s Red Devil’s Food Cake
1 stick butter
2 cups sugar
3 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup sour cream
4 tablespoons cocoa
1/2 cup boiling water
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsp baking soda
1. Heat oven to 350 and spray an oblong pan or 2 round pans.
2. Cream butter, then add sugar; cream together.
3. Beat in eggs, one at a time.
4. Sift flour and salt; add to mixture, then add sour cream and mix well.
5. Dissolve cocoa in boiling water, add to batter, along with vanilla and baking soda.
6. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake 30-35 minutes til done. Cool and frost as desired.
I frosted this with chocolate cream cheese icing and it was a huge hit.